Family Law Blog

How to convert your civil partnership into marriage

03 December 2014, by Taylor King Family Law Solicitors

From 10th December 2014 anyone who has a civil partnership registered in England and Wales will be able to convert their civil partnership into a marriage.

This can be achieved by either having a conversion at the local registry office or local authority office or a conversion by a superintendent registrar at another approved venue, e.g. hotels, stately homes or some religious premises,  accompanied by a ceremony. The civil partners will need proof of ID and proof of the civil partnership.

Both parties must be in attendance at the conversion and, in the presence of each other and the superintendent registrar,  they both must sign a declaration confirming they are in a civil partnership and wish to convert it into a marriage. The registrar will register the conversion on the conversion register and the marriage certificate will be issued.

The cost of the simple conversion will be £45. However for the first year couples who have entered into a civil partnership prior to 29th March 2014 (the date that marriage was available for same sex couples) will be able to covert their civil partnership for free.